The "Committed" Mom?

I am blessed to be the mom of three wonderfully amazing children I call Brent, Lottie and Kenzie. But honestly, there are days when I am committed and days when I need to be committed! So here's where this little blog comes in...my refuge- my sanctuary...my opportunity to share with all who care, the joys of being a "Committed" Mom!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Love and Prayers to the Sudanese Mommies

There I am sitting at my very large Ikea dining room table, with my nice cushy "leather" chairs- watching my children eat their food and leave their crumbs and spills all over it and the hardwood floor.  One this particular day I was in a very foul mood and had lost my joy...(please read  http://rachelmariemartin.blogspot.com/2012/05/dear-overworked-mom.html when you have a moment- her writing is the cry of my heart!).  I kept making a list of all the things that needed to be done around the house and how I will never be able to keep up with the tornadoes that are my children! I admit I was cranky and mad and my focus was way off course.  As I was watching the yogurt drink spill on the table for the 2nd time in 10 seconds, I noticed the envelope on the table from Samartian's Purse.  If you aren't familiar with them please check them out  http://www.samaritan.org/index.php because you will want to be familiar with them!
I opened the envelope and in it was a newsletter from Franklin Graham talking about the Civil War that is about to break out in the Sudan, but it wasn't just what the newsletter was about that grabbed me, it was the pictures within it.  There on the cover was very young mother of 4 sitting in the side, of what appeared to be, a cave.  Her children were covered in dirt and their clothes were tattered and torn. I began to read the article and discovered that this cave was their home- it was where they resided and it was then that God opened my eyes and humbled me.
Who was I to be complaining about the spills on my table and my floors? When I was blessed to have a table and floors.
Who was I to complain about the food spills period? Because it means that my children are being fed and have enough to eat.

On another page I found a mother holding her son, who sat with his back to the photo.  The child was emaciated (skin and bone).  He had to have been about the age of my son (9) but was so weak and frail because he was so malnourished.
How does a mother endure this lifestyle?  How does this mother handle looking at her skeletal child and survive her day to day?
How does a mother sleep in a cave with her children, with absolutely no comforts- while I sleep in my overpriced pillowtop mattress?
How does a mother raise her children, with very little- if any- food to keep them living?
How does a mother keep her children safe, when their little lives are threatened because of what part of the Sudan they live in?
How does a mother endure rape-daily, so that she can walk for miles to obtain water for her children to drink?
How does a mother keep her sanity in this?
How does a mother not rage at God or the world?
How does a mother not become consumed with pain and heartache- and manage to go on living day to day?

I am so blessed and fortunate to live in this country and to have the comforts that I do.  I am so blessed and fortunate that I can turn on my faucet for water, and have fresh water- that my lazy butt didn't have to do anything for!
I am so blessed that my children have clothes to wear on their healthy bodies, and shoes on their feet.
I am so blessed that they (we) have food in our bellies.
I am blessed that I don't have to worry about my children being killed because of where we live.
I praise God for our freedoms to worship the God of our choosing (even though I know there is only ONE true God!) but that people are not killed or persecuted here for it.
I.....am blessed.  I.....have no reason....to complain.

Mothers in the Sudan- I know how you can do those things, because you are mothers!  You are amazingly brave and courageous.  You are the very essence of every mother's heart- you will do what you need to do for your family.  You love without limits or restraints, you think of NO ONE but your family.  You are astoundingly selfless and you perseverance is steadfast!  I am convicted by my selfishness and I know that God is showing you to affect my heart in a deeper way.

From one mother's heart to another..I vow from this day forward that I will pray for you- I will pray for your family. I will pray for their health and their safety.   I will pray that there will be peace in your country and that wrongs would be made right.  I will pray for food for your family, and fresh water access.  I will pray for clothes and education and healing for your sick.  I will pray for your hearts to know that as a mom, my heart breaks for you, and that I will stand in the gap for you.  I pray for your spiritual health, that you would come to know Jesus Christ in a real and personal way- that He would bring you hope and you would find an love like no other....I will pray that you find the ONE true love and above all I will pray..."Lord, what do you want me to do with this?" and try to be obedient as I humble myself before him and listen for what He is going to have me do....

Father God, thank you for opening my heart and my eyes to these women.  My heart breaks with compassion for them.  I do not know what you want me to do with this, or where you want me to take this knowledge- but I humble myself and I ask for your guidance.  Show me how to help these mothers, how can I reach out to them?  How can I show Your love to them?  How can I show them You?  I wait expectantly for your call...

No comments:

Post a Comment