The "Committed" Mom?

I am blessed to be the mom of three wonderfully amazing children I call Brent, Lottie and Kenzie. But honestly, there are days when I am committed and days when I need to be committed! So here's where this little blog comes in...my refuge- my sanctuary...my opportunity to share with all who care, the joys of being a "Committed" Mom!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mary Poppins....HELP!!

Today is a day I need to be committed, I don't know how it is in your home but clean up time is a major battle from start to finish.  I admit I suffer from OCD when it comes to maintaining certain parts of my house, I am not a neat freak by any means but I couldn't go to bed as a teenager until my room was clean- I have tried to pass that on to my son. But my son does not adhere to my craziness, he lives in a world of chaos and is very content to stay that way- this is where our two world's collide.  I have learned from my wonderful friend Amy (Who is one of my expert parents) that it is o.k. to only make your child clean their room once a week and close the door the rest of the time. (Unless of course I can't see the floor at which time it's acceptable to begin a small clean-up)  What a concept, close the door? Brilliant! So my son was tickled pink when he learned he didn't have to pick up everyday.
Now, my husband and I tried very hard to communicate to him that he may not want to leave everything out to be picked up at once, because it could be very hard to clean up a room after a week.  But being 6, he only heard clean up once.  And so the time arrived and for the first cleaning, our rule: You can come out of your room when it is clean. He battled with us, pleaded with us, tried to negotiate, earn time out for good behavior- but to no avail he was unsuccessful and spent a day and a half in his room.  We encouraged him to put music on and have fun while he does it, but instead he chooses the sound of his own whining and passing the time with playing and creating more messes, he is a kid none the less............
To try to make things smoother for the second weeks cleaning, we have tried to prepare him letting him know that Wednesday was going to be room cleaning day, we have encouraged him to keep his clothes picked up off the floor, we have reminded him about his last experience and in return he has been trying to keep things from being totally out of control in his room.  Last night, when he was getting ready for bed I said to him "Remember tomorrow is room cleaning day." He said "I know mom and tomorrow is gonna be better than last time!"
Today is Wednesday, we woke up negotiating, followed by a breakfast of pleading and by 10 am the battle had begun....where is Mary Poppins when you need her?

No comments:

Post a Comment